19 March 2009

Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)






I am so glad I came into this movie knowing nothing more than the fact that is was about Japanese drag queens. I feel like it happens far too often that I come into a film with a set of expectations about it--like with Safe, I knew a lot and so I was consistently comparing my actual viewing experience with my initial expectations. But with this, I knew nothing, so there were tons of great surprises and discoveries and the ending was completely shocking and amazing. I feel like I can't talk too much about this in case...anyone ever looks at this blog, ha, and I don't want to spoil anything. I will say that this was wonderfully complex and fragmented and layered and it all comes together in the end. This is probably my favourite thing I've watched lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment